Animal Care and Enrichment Specialist
The New England Exotic Wildlife Sanctuary
Hope Valley, Rhode Island
Employment Position: Animal Care and Enrichment Specialist
Position Description: Foster Parrots, Ltd. and The New England Exotic Wildlife Sanctuary is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to the rescue and protection of unwanted and abused companion parrots and other displaced captive exotic animals. We are seeking an Animal Care and Enrichment Specialist to join our sanctuary team. The primary responsibility of this position is a focus on direct animal care with an emphasis on building and improving enriched and creative living environments for the sanctuary animals.
This is a physically demanding position requiring someone who is creative, self-motivated, passionate about animals and willing to immerse themselves in the culture of the organization. You must be willing to learn from others and also to self-educate. Our ideal Animal Care and Enrichment Specialist candidate is self-motivated, highly dependable and capable of thinking “outside of the box” in regards to evaluating the needs of the birds and animals and working as a part of a team to research, plan and execute dynamic avian/animal environments. This person will be involved in the direct care of the parrots and be capable of stepping in when and where needed. Basic facility maintenance and repair is also required, so a level of resourcefulness, problem solving skills and basic carpentry ability is necessary.
- Hands-on parrot care including feeding, cleaning, handling. Observe both physical and mental health and wellbeing of animals.
- Restrain and handle animals when needing veterinary care.
- Administer medication when needed.
- Assistant Sanctuary manager with routine maintenance of mails and beaks when needed.
- Create naturalistic environments that encourage natural behaviors.
- Manage construction projects from start to finish with budgeting, sourcing materials and construction. Resourcefulness and the ability to forge community connections to access materials, contributions or other resources is required.
- Maintain tool shop area, as well as various facility maintenance projects when needed.
Required Skills and Experience
- Parrot care and handling experience is strongly recommended but not required. If one lacks parrot handling experience specifically, some level of wild animal care and handling is required, as will be the willingness and ability to quickly learn how to handle and “read” parrots.
- Familiarity with concepts of enrichment and naturalistic environments for captive wildlife is required.
- Knowledge of power tool use and maintenance.
- Carpentry and basic construction skills.
- Self starter, ability to work independently or lead a team.
- This is not a position defined by a 40 hour work week. This is a lifestyle investment. The Animal Care and Enrichment Specialist will normally be scheduled for 5 day work weeks. Weekend and holiday hours must be anticipated, though we strive to work as a team to accommodate holiday plans or special events for fellow staff members.
- A positive mental attitude is essential, as is the ability to inspire and motivate others!
- After six months of service, employees receive 5 paid “flex days”.
- After one year of service employees receive 10 paid “flex days”
- Expenses for work related travel (gas) are paid by the organization.
- On-site workers quarters for full-time salaried employees is expected to be available within the next 2 – 3 years.
- Substantial growth potential within organization.
Please submit resume and cover letter with 3 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org